Sunday, June 24, 2012

In Search of Thomas Berger: In Which I Send an Email

June 24, 2012


Simon and Schuster blew me off. I expected this from Simon. But Schuster? He's always been a pal, a friend, a decent person. That cut me deepest. Then again, it was expected. After all, I sent them an email in which my reasons for wanting to contact Mr. Berger included, "Because he will die soon." People get skittish around death, I hear.

Also, Samuel L. Jackson never got back to me. What is the world coming to? When did we start living in an age where you can't contact a celebrity in the hopes that he has contact information for someone else and expect an answer? It's a sick world. It's also always been the world, so I'll deal with it somehow.

 "Hoho. Another tweet from a simpleton."

Rather than get discouraged, I decided to dig a little deeper in my search. On the Wikipedia page for Thomas Berger (which of course I can trust), there is a list of authors he has influenced. This list contains one name: Jonathan Lethem. I looked him up (apparently he wrote some books? Probably?) and found an article he wrote called "Fan Mail." Basically, he stole my idea. 

Back in 1989 (the year after I was born, so my complaint is valid), Lethem wrote to Mr. Berger, who responded. Since then they have kept a correspondence.

Guys, this is probably how those letters were delivered

So I decided to send Mr. Lethem('s secretary) an email:
---------------
Lucy,

I hope that you will pass this along to Mr. Lethem. I have put it in my mind that I need to talk to Thomas Berger, at least talk at him. I have been trying to figure out how to contact him for a couple weeks, and after reading Mr. Lethem's article, "Fan Mail," I think I've found the best way to do so. I understand of course that Mr. Berger may be careful to guide his privacy (otherwise I'm sure contact would have been much simpler), so if it is his wish that I pursue this no further, I accept. But frankly the man is a hero of mine, a literary giant among men, and it would be a privilege to ask him a few questions or even send a simple "thank you" for his work.

Any help that can be offered would be great.

Thank you,
Kendall Pack 
---------------


Jonathan Lethem, receiving my email from Lucy, and he's really excited

Now, we wait...

Possibly forever...

Wish me luck, fellow adventurers!




1 comment:

  1. Oh, you make me feel sooooooooooo old. I know the individual words, but the things you reference have no relevancy for me.

    ReplyDelete